News

Port Gamble Bay diver recovering, in 'satisfactory' condition

LITTLE BOSTON — A 46-year-old man who was sent to Harborview Medical Center Aug. 7 following a diving incident has been upgraded to "satisfactory," according to hospital spokeswoman Clare LaFond.

The diver was identified as Mark Nilluka by family members. He was pulled from Port Gamble Bay unconscious, and had been on life support for several days.

"His vital signs are stable, but he's still got a long way to go," said Susan Gregg, Harborview spokeswoman.

The incident followed “an apparent diving mishap,” according to North Kitsap Fire & Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda.

The man was airlifted via Airlift Northwest helicopter from Bainbridge Island.

NKF&R crews were called to Point Julia just before 11 a.m. Aug. 7 after a dive boat crew reported they were coming ashore with an unconscious male on board.

Persons aboard the vessel started CPR, and told firefighters the man had been harvesting geoducks about 33 feet deep in the water when the incident occurred, Laboda reported. Initial reports said he was underwater for 30 minutes.

Medics were able to stabilize the patient and Airlift Northwest was called to take the man to Harborview.

It is still unknown exactly what happened to the diver.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates